COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF A MEETING OF THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE AND CHAIRMEN OF STATE STAKEHOLDERS COMMITTEES HELD AT THE NATIONAL SECRETARIAT ON THURSDAY, APRIL 24, 2014
The National Executive Committee of the Peoples Democratic Movement (PDM) met with members of the National Advisory Committee and Chairmen of State Stakeholders Committees of the Party to review the conduct of the manual membership registration exercise of the Party which held between March 17 and 25, 2014 as well as strategize for the conduct of Congresses and National Convention of the Party.
2. Following reports received from the State Chairmen and National Officers who were deployed to monitor and supervise the exercise, the Party noted with great satisfaction that the membership registration exercise was a huge success, surpassing expectations, in spite of the hitches experienced in Ekiti and Kogi States. It was resolved that NEC should consider a special dispensation for the two states to enable them tidy up and resolve the challenges confronting them.
3. Consequent upon this huge success, the Party commended its officers and members for their sacrifice and for the peaceful and successful conduct of the exercise. The Party most especially appreciated the sacrifice made by officers and members in conducting the exercise through personal contributions of Party officials and members in their own states, LGAs and wards. This, it was observed, is unprecedented in the history of Party politics in the country and demonstrates the commitment and resolve of members towards growing and sustaining the Party along the lines of its guiding philosophy of ownership by members, big and small.
4. The meeting further observed that with the successful completion of the manual membership registration exercise, the Party had attained the third, amongst its four priority programmes following its registration by the Independent National Electoral Commission in August, 2013. This goes to show that the Party has come of age under a committed and focused leadership. The three other priorities are a) successful establishment of Party structures at all levels across the country, b) establishing Party offices in the 36 states of the federation and FCT, and c) registration of Party members in all the wards across the country.
5. Following the attainment of the third priority programme, the Party is now positioned and ready to embark on the fourth priority programme, which is the conduct of Congresses and National Convention to elect its substantive officers at all levels (Wards, Local Government Areas, States, Zones and National). In setting about the above task, the meeting resolved to adopt and promote consensus among Party members in producing officers and to conduct election where consensus fails. Along these lines, officers of the Party, leaders and members were advised to commence preliminary consultations and engagements towards the Congresses and Convention which is to take place latest by August, 2014.
8. To raise funds for the forthcoming Congresses and National Convention, it was resolved that a National Fundraising Committee is to be formed and put to work with immediate effect. State chairmen were advised to consult and send in a nominee each by Monday, April 28 so that the Committee could be inaugurated before the end of April 2014.
9. The meeting noted with delight the deluge of requests from members and leaders of other political parties who wish to defect to the Peoples Democratic Movement and directed Party leader at all levels to make adequate arrangements to receive the decampees. It was further emphasised that, in line with its philosophy and spirit of openness, leaders of Peoples Democratic Movement at all levels should always welcome, accept and confer its membership rights, privileges and responsibilities on members of other political parties who align themselves with the spirit and philosophy of the PDM and decide to join the Party.
9. A minute's silence was observed in honor of the late Chairmen of the Party in Oyo and Bauchi States who passed on recently and whose contributions to the establishment of the Party in their states while they were alive was greatly appreciated and commended by all and sundry.
Dated this 24th day of April 2014 in Abuja
Ahmed Rufai Abubakar
National Publicity Secretary